Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, February 8, 2008

Bizarre Things That My Cambodian Maid Does

Maybe I am not used to her culture but my Cambodian maid does very bizarre things. Just a moment ago, I heard the sound of water flowing out from the tap from the bathroom. I went to the bathroom and found my maid squatting outside the bathroom with the shower and washing her hair. I asked her what she's doing and she told me she had headache and felt hot. I then asked if she wanted pain killer for her headache and she said no. I asked her if she had fever and she replied no. After drying her hair, she went upstairs to continue with her work. Strange isn't it?

She also has a habit of taking her bath very late at night. I've always asked her to take her bath earlier but she insists that she only wants to bathe just before she goes to bed, which is at around 11pm or sometimes later if we go out.

My previous maid has a special pull-out table in the kitchen for her to eat her meals. However, our Cambodian maid prefers to eat at the wet kitchen, which is outside our dry kitchen. She prefers to sit on a stool and eat her meals there. I have since asked her to sit at our dining table so that she can eat whilst she feeds Sherilyn. She also doesn't mind eating her food straight from the fridge. The other day, I had bought her a packet of nasi lemak with chicken curry. She kept it in the fridge and hours later, ate it without reheating it. I have thought her how to use the microwave but maybe she's too lazy or hungry to reheat her food and ate it straight from the fridge.

She always looks as if she's really really famished and can really eat anything I give her in a blink of an eye. The other day, I had steamed a really huge 'lin koa' and bought a packet of grated coconut to eat with it. I could only eat a few spoonfuls and gave the rest of the 'lin koa' to her. I thought she would take days to finish it. I was shocked when I found out that she had gobbled the entire 'lin koa' within an hour. I wonder if she felt uncomfortable after eating such a sweet and sticky cake with one whole packet of grated coconut! I really think this Cambodian maid is bizarre .

No comments: