Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, September 4, 2009

What Water Do You Feed Your Kids With When You Travel?

Though most hotels provide a small kettle in the room to facilitate you to boil water for tea and coffee making, I am not sure if the water that flows out of the tap in the bathroom is filtered. I wonder if these hotels install water filters in their buildings. Even if they do install a huge water filter at the main water source, I am not sure if there is another smaller water filter installed inside the kitchens of the restaurants. When I was in Penang with the kids recently, I had reservations giving my gals water that I boiled using the kettle from our room.

During breakfast each morning, I politely asked the waitress at the coffee house to fill up my gals’ water tumblers and milk bottle with warm water. I suppose drinking water from the restaurants in the hotel is filtered and boiled. For those of you with babies and toddlers, when you travel with them on vacations, what drinking water do you feed them with? Do you feed them with bottled mineral water directly from the bottle (unboiled), or do you boil water in your hotel room using the water from the bathroom or do you boil bottled mineral water? The next time I go on vacation with my kids, I think I’ll buy bottled drinking water and boil them using the kettle provided by the hotel in our room, just to be safe.

11 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

i always buy mineral water for ashley. i even boil it for making her milk :)

Chris said...

In Malaysia and with the kids so young, I'd recommend just boiling tap water would be fine. It is as safe as safe can be with boiling. Bottled water is fine too but an unnecessary expense and environmentally-unfriendly. There is some discussion out there that mineral water may be harmful cos of the, well, minerals. We have very hard water here and I filter just so the kettle doesn't end up with a coat of calcium, plus it makes tea and coffee taste better. Otherwise, tap water, and I don't boil it before drinking. I always drink straight out of the tap in KL and Pg, and no problems ever.

coffeesncookies said...

I'll bring my own water when travelling by car but if it ain't enough, I'll just boil. For a couple of days, it's ok, just make sure it's boiled but remember to use cold water from tap to boil, not hot as hot water comes from from water tanks and pipes along the way could be rusty whereas cold water should be from the mains. :)

Linda said...

I will boiled water from the hotel room. I don't think i'll buy mineral water and boiled them, waste of money. And if we go and eat outside, we will just eat or drink whatever we order, the kids too...
I would rather stay home if I have to take all those precautions... :)

Mummy Moon said...

we boil mineral water before feed the kids when we are on vacation. Never try to use the tap water in the hotel bathroom to boil water. If for local trip, we even bring our own kettle along, more clean!

MommyAngel said...

For me, I normally would buy mineral water from the market and give Angel directly without boiling (can't wait till they cool down) unless it's warm water that I have to make her milk then I would boil those mineral water. I will never ever feed her those water from the sink in the bathroom coz I do not know the source of the water (I am a kiasi mom :P :P). But some hotel did mention that thier water from the tap is safe for drinking then only I would take those water and boiled it for us adults but still giving mineral water to Angel.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Chris... yup, I've heard that the mineral content in the mineral water is harmful to a child in the sense that a young child's kidneys will not be able to filter so much mineral but I don't know how true that is. Moreover, bottled mineral water or drinking water is not boiled.

MommyAngel... I would prefer buying bottled drinking water than mineral water for the reasons stated above.

Chris said...

U can also go one further...distilled water! Totally bleacchhhhh! But it's as pure as it's gonna get. Here I have to use it for the iron and also for the clothes steamer as the water here is hard.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Chris... oh yea, I forgot to mention that I very much prefer bottled distilled water to mineral water. Like you've said, distilled water is so pure!

pauline s said...

We always buy bottled drinking water and boiled it using the hotel kettle before giving to our girls. For adults, we also take bottled drinking water but no boiling of course. Safer this way as we do not want anyone to fall ill during travelling.

Anonymous said...

I'm total freak concerning water outside from home so i def buy bottled water and boiled it b4 give it to my gal.

cheers
Mel from downunder