Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Guess What Fruit This Is

Can you make a wild guess? The surface is smooth and it's blackish and greenish and my dad bought it from a wet market in Ipoh....





??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??
??






It's a locally grown avocado...


The differences between a locally grown and an imported avocado apart from the price (local ones are cheaper) are that the locally grown avocado flesh is very smooth and not so thick and creamy. Some of the avocados are as big as a small-sized Australian mango. And the locally grown avocados turn brown and bad very fast -- leave them in room temperature, the flesh will turn brown very quickly. Put them in the fridge, the flesh will be hard and not edible. So my verdict is - next time we'll stick to imported ones, though they cost more.

7 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

Heard this has very good nutrients! i have taken them before once.. very yammy like...

coffeesncookies said...

I actually like the local ones more.. even though it's not as creamy but the ones I had were very fleshy and ripes fast. I heard it originates from east malaysia. My MIL's friend brought the seeds over and planted in Malacca and the fruits were HUGE. Check it out at :
http://coffeesncookies.blogspot.com/2010/06/giant-avocados.html

sheela said...

Just had 2 avacadoes 2 day-our fav! My helper will always bring a whole box for us when she returns for her hols in Indon

Little Kit Boy said...

Avacado is very good fruit but unfortunately, my whole family also dislike the taste.

MeRy said...

I don't like this fruit.....

Ann said...

I don't know how to enjoy an avocado. But now that you mentioned it...maybe I should get one and let my girl eat it. Remember giving it to my boy when he was young.

jazzmint said...

wow the seed like got a layer of mould on it LOL. I still prefer the looks of the imported ones :)