Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, February 7, 2014

Bahasa Malaysia for 6-Year Olds

This is what Cass is learning in pre-school now.  She is going to turn 6 in April and this year will be her last year in kindy.

Cass school books

 Her kindy stresses the importance of  being able to read in Chinese, English and Bahasa Malaysia by the time the child is 5 and 6 year old. Some of the kids in this kindy could read very well when they were only 3 years old.   Cass only got the hang of reading late last year, at a little over 5 years old.  In her kindy, this is considered 'late bloomer'.

Some of the syllabus for 6-year olds in this kindy are similar to what Primary 2 SJKC pupils are learning.  I found out when I was doing revision with Alycia and Sherilyn three years ago. Both of them were learning the same thing! Alycia was then in Primary 2 (8YO) and Sherilyn was 6YO, doing her last year in kindy.

Some parents would say that this is too tough and too much for a 6YO kid to handle. For me, I think it is good as the pre-school is preparing the child for Primary 1.  I remember that when Alycia and Sherilyn went to Primary 1, they kind of breezed through that year as they had already learned most of the things when they were in kindy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, her kindy is really preparing the kids way ahead! I believe Cass will do well in school just like her older sisters.

To answer your question in my blog, hubby is half Singaporean, and half Malaysian. : )