Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Health Freak Mommy's Breakfast

My mid-morning breakfast for today composed of a wedge of avocado, toasted coconut bread (from my favorite cafe, Red Kettle) with light cream cheese and chia seeds, toasted sunflower seeds and toasted pecans.



Image may contain: food


Yesterday's breakkie was overnight oats (I use organic old fashion rolled oats) with organic dried cranberries, almonds, chia seeds, a spoonful of Pic's sugar-free peanut butter and a drizzle of maple syrup.  The oats were soaked overnight with skimmed milk and almonds.  The other ingredients were added just before eating.


Image may contain: food


This morning I boiled a pot of garbanzo beans (chick peas) with curry powder*.  This will be my wholesome, low-carb, high-protein and nutrient-dense power snack to curb hunger pangs throughout the day. Great for salads too.  Depending on my mood later, I may even get Drama Queen to help me make avocado hummus dip from these garbanzo beans. I have in mind an avocado + garlic + garbanzo beans hummus dip.  Sounds really yummy eh?

Garbanzo beans provide you with a vegetarian-friendly source of protein and has a rich source of dietary fiber. The high fiber, potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B-6 content, coupled with the lack of cholesterol found in chickpeas, all support heart health too. Garbanzo beans also contain folate, which plays a role in DNA synthesis and repair, thus preventing the formation of cancer cells from mutation in the DNA.

Enough said on the health benefits, I love garbanzo beans coz they give me a guilt-free yummy snack treat and most importantly, they are inexpensive. This pot of garbanzo beans only costs RM3.60, the curry powder costs a few sen and with sea salt, filtered water and gas, my entire pot of goodie costs no more than RM5!

Image may contain: food



* I used Baba's fish curry powder which is very yummy and only costs 60 sen a packet! I added 2 teaspoons into the pot of beans.



No comments: