Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

I Found Her!

For years I have been searching for my erstwhile roomie, CC on Facebook but to no avail.  I first met CC when I was 18 and she was 19. That was in early 1991. We both stayed at the college hostel along Jalan Yap Kwan Seng for a week but the environment in the hostel was so terrible that we packed our bags and looked for another place to stay.  We both shared a tiny room in a double storey terraced house in Jalan Ipoh.  If you have been following my blog, you would have read my stories on my 6 years stay with Madam Yap, the landlady of the house.

CC was my best friend for almost 2 years. She was my confidante.  We did everything together. We would walk to the bus stop on some mornings to catch mini bus no. 10 to college. On some afternoons, we would take the same mini bus back to our rented room.  Our favorite mini bus song then was 'Joyride' by Roxette.  Every evening, we would walk to a nearby stall to eat 'chap fan' (mixed economy rice). We shared our fruits, our junk food, we laughed, we did homework on a small rectangular foldable table together every night and slept on two mattresses on the floor every night.   CC is amiable and easy to confide in. It is not easy to live with a stranger but we just hit it off and hardly fought.

The last time we met was in December 1992.  I had taken a bus to Kluang, Johor to visit her. We then took a bus to Singapore and had a short holiday there. That was it - 24 years ago. I can't recollect if we had met or contacted each other after that.  All I know is that she went to the UK for further studies.

In recent years, I often thought of CC.  I remembered our bitter sweet 2 years staying together. I really missed her.  Whenever I had time on hand, I would type in her name (in all order that I can possibly think of) on Facebook to search for her but it was like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Last night, one of my customers informed me that she had sent me a Facebook friendship request. These days, I am not sure why I don't receive email notification anymore from Facebook each time someone sends me a friendship request on Facebook. When I went to my Facebook page setting on friendship requests, I saw a name very similar to CC's.  I clicked on the name but could not find any familiar photos.  CC ain't active on Facebook, thus the lack of update on her page.  I accepted the request anyway. Within minutes, I received messages from CC.  We were both SO SO SO overjoyed and excited that we had found each other!  CC had also been searching for me for years.   I am not going to lose contact with her anymore. Good friends are hard to come by and I'll treasure this one forever.




No comments: